The story of this horticultural business which currently employs around 220 employees, is the story of one family and their passion for plants and beautiful surroundings.
It was started by Maurice Schilliger in 1945, who sold fortified seeds to local businesses.
Cut flowers and potted plants soon became the central focus of the business as demand grew and he soon became the biggest provider of flowers to florists in the Geneva region. After a while the business was bursting at the seams, which led to the acquisition of four hectares of land in Gland, where the main garden center and headquarters of the business are located today. The Gland garden center opened its doors to the public in 1970.
It was Maurice’s wife, Agnès, with her eye for detail and passion for decoration who started the decoration department. She was followed by her son Maurice Jr who led the diversification of the business into decoration and furniture and the Christmas market, which today is a crucial part of its success.
In the 90s Maurice and Agnès handed the business over to three of their children.
Under the supervision of the 2nd generation of Schilliger, the business grew and diversified even more – now encompassing nearly 20 hectares of plants, a pet center, a café, as well as growing into a recognized “lifestyle” brand and becoming known for extraordinary seasonal displays.
The 3rd generation is involved in the business with 5 members, all of them in charge of a different department within the company.
“It is a big strength in our times to be a family-owned business, because it means we can be really close to our customers – we are on the premises and we want to stay accessible to the public,” says Camil Schilliger, group’s communication manager and part of the 3rd Schilliger generation.